If you’re looking for a taste of Spain in East Africa, Mombasa is the place to be. The coastal city boasts a number of Spanish restaurants, each offering their own unique spin on traditional Spanish cuisine. From tapas to paella and everything in between, Mombasa’s Spanish restaurants are sure to satisfy any craving for Mediterranean flavors. In this article, we’ll explore the best Spanish restaurants in Mombasa and what makes them stand out.
La Marina Restaurant
Located at the luxurious Voyager Beach Resort, La Marina is a Spanish restaurant that specializes in seafood. Their menu features a variety of fish dishes, including grilled octopus, squid ink paella, and fish and chips. La Marina’s Spanish chef, Carlos Mendoza, ensures that each dish is authentically Spanish and cooked to perfection.
Tapas Cielo Restaurant
Tapas Cielo is a cozy restaurant located in Mombasa’s Old Town. The restaurant is known for its tapas, small dishes that are perfect for sharing. Some of the most popular dishes include patatas bravas, croquetas de jamón, and gambas al ajillo. In addition to tapas, Tapas Cielo also serves paella and other traditional Spanish dishes.
El Charro Restaurant
El Charro is a Spanish restaurant located in Mombasa’s Nyali neighborhood. The restaurant’s specialty is grilled meats, including beef, chicken, and pork. El Charro also serves a variety of tapas, soups, and salads. The restaurant’s outdoor seating area is perfect for enjoying a meal in the warm Mombasa sun.
Casa de Tapas Restaurant
Casa de Tapas is a Spanish restaurant located in the heart of Mombasa’s city center. The restaurant’s menu features a variety of tapas, including albóndigas, pulpo a la gallega, and tortilla española. Casa de Tapas also serves paella and other traditional Spanish dishes. The restaurant’s casual atmosphere and friendly staff make it a great spot for a relaxed meal.
Tangerine is a Spanish restaurant located in Mombasa’s Bamburi neighborhood. The restaurant’s menu features a variety of seafood dishes, including gambas al ajillo, seafood paella, and grilled prawns. Tangerine also serves a selection of tapas and other traditional Spanish dishes. The restaurant’s oceanfront location provides a stunning view while you dine.
Flamenco Tapas Bar and Restaurant
Flamenco Tapas Bar and Restaurant is a Spanish restaurant located in Mombasa’s Shanzu neighborhood. The restaurant’s menu features a variety of tapas, including patatas bravas, tortilla española, and gambas al ajillo. Flamenco also serves paella and other traditional Spanish dishes. The restaurant’s lively atmosphere, complete with flamenco dancers, makes it a great spot for a night out.
The Moorings Restaurant
The Moorings is a Spanish restaurant located on Mombasa’s Tamarind Dhow. The restaurant’s menu features a variety of seafood dishes, including lobster bisque, grilled prawns, and seafood paella. The Moorings also serves a selection of tapas and other traditional Spanish dishes.
The Verdict: Best Spanish Restaurant in Mombasa
Choosing the best Spanish restaurant in Mombasa is a tough call, as each restaurant has its own unique offerings. However, after careful consideration, we have to give the title to La Marina Restaurant. The restaurant’s stunning oceanfront location, fresh seafood dishes, and authentic Spanish flavors make it a standout in Mombasa’s restaurant scene.
Tips for Dining at a Spanish Restaurant
If you’re planning to dine at a Spanish restaurant in Mombasa, here are a few tips to help you make the most of your experience:
- Don’t be afraid to try new dishes! Spanish cuisine has a lot of unique flavors and ingredients that you may not be familiar with.
- Sharing tapas dishes is a great way to try a variety of different flavors.
- When ordering paella, keep in mind that it typically takes about 30 minutes to prepare.
- Spanish restaurants often serve bread with aioli or other dipping sauces – be sure to try them out!
- Spanish restaurants typically serve dinner later than other restaurants, so plan accordingly.
Mombasa’s Spanish restaurants offer a taste of Spain in the heart of East Africa. Whether you’re in the mood for tapas or paella, you’re sure to find a restaurant that will satisfy your cravings. From La Marina’s oceanfront location to Tapas Cielo’s cozy ambiance, each restaurant has its own unique charm. So why not take a trip to Mombasa and experience Spanish cuisine for yourself?
- Is Spanish food popular in Mombasa? Yes, Spanish food has gained popularity in Mombasa in recent years. Several Spanish restaurants have opened up in the city to meet the demand.
- Are Spanish restaurants in Mombasa expensive? Prices at Spanish restaurants in Mombasa can vary, but they are generally in line with other high-end restaurants in the city.
- Do Spanish restaurants in Mombasa offer vegetarian options? Yes, most Spanish restaurants in Mombasa offer vegetarian options, such as vegetable paella and patatas bravas.
- Is it necessary to make a reservation at a Spanish restaurant in Mombasa? It’s always a good idea to make a reservation, especially if you plan on dining during peak hours or on weekends.
- Can I get traditional Spanish dishes at Spanish restaurants in Mombasa? Yes, most Spanish restaurants in Mombasa offer traditional Spanish dishes, such as paella, tortilla española, and albóndigas.